On Oct 15, 2013, I used Angel Hair pasta.
The recipe said prep time was 10 minutes. Not for me. Maybe for a team of people working in the kitchen.
I used the Amish Paste plum tomatoes from our garden. The recipe said 8 medium tomatoes, but I'm unsure what a "medium" tomato is. I used 10 of our plum tomatoes, since a couple were on the small-ish side.
I used fresh basil from our potted plant in our backyard.
- 14 oz capellini pasta (angel hair).
- 8 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 11 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil.
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- mix diced tomatoes, chopped basil, garlic, and oil in a bowl. season with salt and pepper if desired.
- cook pasta according to package directions.
- warm saute span on stove-top on low to medium heat.
- drain pasta.
- add tomato mix to warmed saute pan.
- add pasta to saute pan.
- toss pasta with tomato mixture in pan and heat throughout.
I used the entire 16 oz box of pasta. In the future, might add a couple more tomatoes. Americans are used to smothering everything with too much stuff, so this will seem like it has no "sauce," but it works well, and this simple dish tastes great. The homegrown tomatoes and basil help. I would also add more basil. At this time of the year, our basil plant is not producing as much. I guess making our own pasta would be one way to improve it. Next time, I might add one more clove of garlic.
10 minutes of prep time? I had no problem with taking considerably longer to clean and slice and dice the tomatoes, chop the garlic, and chop the basil. I find the process relaxing. Plus, it takes a while for the water to come to a boil for the past. Drinking a little glass of red wine during the prep time makes it a fine process. Typically, I use one heavy steel chopping knife and one cutting board to do all the work. A couple bowls. Wooden spoons. Easy cleanup. Tasty, simple meal. It's fun to work in the kitchen.
Making pizza from spent beer grains - Jul 07, 2014
Perfect Potatoes Recipe - Mar 03, 2014
Making cultured yogurt - Oct 08, 2013
Homemade Neapolitan-style pizza - Apr 15, 2014
Pulled Pork Sandwiches Recipe - Mar 03, 2014