- apply after first egg has been laid.
- made from cardboard.
- three sided.
- extends outward 3 to 3.5 inches from the nest box.
- extends down to the bottom edge of the hole.
- 6 to 7 days after young have hatched.
- this is more important for the 2nd and 3rd nestings, during the warmer, summer period.
- may not see any indications of blowfly existence during the spring nesting.
- make new nest from dried grasses.
- lawn grass can be used, provided that it has been dried sufficiently.
- green grass will generate heat as it dries or decomposes.
- spread green grass out on table or floor to dry and then store in a plastic bag until needed.
- can use coarse grass for the nest base and fine grass at the top of the nest.
- can also use pine straw as the nest base.
- new nest should fill the next box up to two inches below the bottom of the hole.
Bird notes - Mon, Jul 18, 2016 - Jul 18, 2016
May 2015 birdwatching obs - May 20, 2015
Aug 2015 bird obs - Aug 26, 2015
May 3, 2014 notes about our backyard Hermit Thrush - May 27, 2014
Late Sep and Oct 2015 Notes - Oct 31, 2015