Northwest Ohio migrating birds in early October
- Wed, Oct 5, 2016: I observed Golden-crowned Kinglet and White-throated Sparrow around our home this morning. These short-distant or temperate climate songbirds have started their fall migration through northwest Ohio.
But in early October, we stil...
2 min read
- Oct 05, 2016 - #ohio #bird #nature #blog_jr
Clay-colored and Field Sparrow Hybrid
- (my July 2008 ToledoTalk.com post)
From: Aaron B
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:38:11 -0400
Just got back from a successful outing in Lorain County at the Charlemont
Reservation. Since Ethan K found an unusual "Spizella" sparrow...
3 min read
- Jul 20, 2016 - #bird #nature #ohio
Bird notes - Mon, Jul 18, 2016
- A lot of bird activity has existed around our home this month with the young birds visiting.
Fledgling and now young birds foraging on their own visiting our yard in mid-July include:
Bird visiting our feeders and ...
3 min read
- Jul 18, 2016 - #home #bird #nature
Red Knot Conservation Effort
- (my March 2008 post at toledotalk.com)
From Ohio birding e-mail listserv :
Subject: Good news on Red Knots
From: Kenn Kaufman
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:41:21 -0400
Here's a piece of outstanding good news from our friends in New Jersey, one that h...
5 min read
- Jan 19, 2016 - #bird #environment #nature
Late Sep and Oct 2015 Notes
- #bird - #home - #nature - #insect
Mon, Sep 28
at 7:20 p.m., at least two Scissor-grinder Cicadas are singing around our home. temps still in the mid 70s. calm wind. partly to mostly cloudy sky. good weather to sing if a cicada. love their song. un...
15 min read
- Oct 31, 2015 - #bird #home #nature #insect #rainfall
Aug 2015 bird obs
- Aug 21
3 AMRO - (1 on our front yard)
CAWR sang in our backyard
1 AMRO our front yard
Aug 24 and aug 25 early morning EAWP sang partial song near woodmont and grantwood. it sang the "pee-eww" part only.
Heard BAOR still on fri, aug ...
- Aug 26, 2015 - #bird #home #nature
Nesting Bluebird Info
- #nature - #bird - #home
- apply after first egg has been laid.
- made from cardboard.
- three sided.
- extends outward 3 to 3.5 inches from the nest box.
- extends down to the bottom edge of the hole.
- 6 to 7 days after youn...
1 min read
- May 22, 2015 - #nature #bird #home
May 2015 birdwatching obs
- #home - #toledo - #nature - #bird - #event
Post started on Mon, May 18, 2015.
I have not recorded bird obs for each day in our neighborhood while exercise walking and walking Barney. I wish that I had.
I don't know if this is a better than aver...
12 min read
- May 20, 2015 - #home #toledo #nature #bird #event
Fri, May 15, 2015 bird observations
- Around our home and in our neighborhood.
It has been a fine day for migrating bird song both for variety and numbers.
Around 3:25 p.m., a WCSP and a MAWA were perched in the middle oval crunchberry shrub in my same field of view of my binoculars. A...
1 min read
- May 18, 2015 - #home #bird
May 12-14, 2015 Nature Observations
- Around our home and neighborhood.
On Tue, May 12, I noticed that our spirea bushes had started to bloom in a few places.
On Wed, May 13 and again this morning, Thu, May 14, I saw a WTSP in our backyard.
During my walk with Barney on Wed, May 13, ...
- May 14, 2015 - #home #bird #nature
Mid-day walk, Mon, Mar 16, 2015
- Barney and I went for about 40-minute walk around lunch time. Cloudy sky. Temps around 60 degrees. Little to no wind. Mostly dry. A few snow piles.
COGR, I think my first of 2015
AMRO, several heard, and two males foraging on a lawn.
- Mar 16, 2015 - #home #bird #pets
Sat, Feb 21, 2014 Weather
- At 12: 08 p.m., Feb 21, 2015, light snow continues to fall. Total accumulation for the day is at least 1.5 inches. I walked the neighborhood from 10:50 to 11:40 a.m., and then I shoveled our walkways and driveway apron. Temps were around 20 degrees. ...
- Feb 21, 2015 - #home #toledo #weather #bird
Fri, Feb 20, 2015 morning walk
- I walked this morning without Barney from 9:40 a.m. to 10:40 a.m. At the start of the walk, mostly clear with temp around +1. At the end of the walk, partly to mostly cloudy with cirrus and cirrostratus clouds, so the sun could still shine okay. Temp...
- Feb 20, 2015 - #home #bird #toledo #weather
Fri, Jan 9, 2015 Weather
- Fri, Jan 9, 2015 - The sky dawned mostly clear. It was still breezy. It appeared to have snowed a little more, since I measured last night at 10:44 p.m. I'm guessing that around 2.0 to 2.25 inches of snow fell over West Toledo during the 12-hour peri...
1 min read
- Jan 09, 2015 - #home #snowfall #bird
Eastern Screech Owl fly-by in our backyard
- On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at about 1:00 p.m., I stood at our kitchen window watching the dozens of HOSP and the numerous MODO forage on our backyard, along with a few fox squirrels. Some SCJU were mixed in as well. Then all the birds suddenly left. Even t...
- Dec 25, 2014 - #home #bird