Toledo's whacked anti-foreign thinking
- My Aug 8, 2013 comment about Toledo mayoral candidate Anita Lopez.
Excerpts from two Blade stories about a mayoral forum that occurred earlier this week:
Story 1 and story 2
Regarding the Marina District, Ms. Lopez said the city-owned property sh...
5 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #toledo #politics #moronism
Toledo's xenophobic attitude
- (My comment in a Sep/Oct 2013 ToledoTalk.com thread.)
Surprisingly, or maybe not, anti-foreign thinking is too prevalent in Toledo, Ohio, especially since we're now in the second decade of the 21st century.
Mayoral candidate Anita Lopez played the ...
2 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #toledo #politics #business #moronism
Old smoking ban post - 2004
- #todo finish editing links, etc.
The government will never make tobacco illegal, because they receive too much tax revenue from it, and the states enjoy the tobacco settlement money. That's the absurdity of what the government is doing, by banning...
1 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #todo #toledo #business #politics #moronism
Toledo Region Branding Initiative
- (My slightly modified Apr 5, 2014 comment to a ToledoTalk thread about branding the Toledo region.)
I say, credit media mogul EconCat88 for igniting this latest trend in branding Toledo's image.
Last fall and this winter, Blade columnists and the B...
4 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #toledo #business #socialmedia #advertising #marketing #design
Blade columnist's petty writing skills
- (My Apr 6, 2014 comment to a Toledo Talk thread)
In Burris's Apr 6, 2014 column, this line that he wrote is hilarious:
The Treeces faced mostly open minds.
Really? Maybe that depends upon the definition of "mostly."
Excerpts from Burris's No...
1 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #toledo #media #moronism #politics #business
Toledo city councilwoman's plan to fund mural program
- (My Apr 22, 2014 comment posted at ToledoTalk.com)
Also from the 13abc story, :
Rachel Richardson is the founder of Art Corner of Toledo. Her group would get the $15,000 from the city and a matching $15,000 from Lucas County to fund this art wor...
2 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #toledo #art #activism #politics
Should taxpayer money be used to fund murals over potholes?
- (My Apr 23, 2014 comment at ToledoTalk.com)
"Stop stealing from the Capital Improvements Fund to pay for folly. Fix the infrastructure, hire the necessary cops and firefighters."
But Toledo city government transfers money from the "capital-improv...
12 min read
- Nov 10, 2017 - #toledo #politics #art #activism
Toledo government transferring CIP money to the General Fund
- #toledo #politics #moronism
capital improvements plan
The city has shifted millions since 2010 from the capital budget to the general fund to keep it in the black and to fund the salaries of police and fire personnel t...
2 min read
- May 30, 2017 - #toledo #politics #moronism
Proposed tt post apr 24, 2017
I only became aware of brutalism design a year ago. I like it. I'll have to look more closely at area buildings.
What other examples exist that might be slightly off the beaten path? Can you think of any non-governmental and non...
- Apr 24, 2017 - #toledo #history #design
Feb 23, 2017 comment that i did not post to tt
- i decided not to jump into the fray with this comment in the following thread.
I don't have a problem with Steel remaining on city council. The voters can decide whether he should continue as a councilman.
Steel is an at-large councilman. 201...
3 min read
- Feb 23, 2017 - #toledo #politics
Downtown toledo open restaurants on sundays
- nov 18, 2016
Manhattan's closes at 2:00 p.m. on Sundays.
Registry Bistro is closed on Sundays.
Table 44 is open on Sundays until 10:00 p.m.
At the Oliver House, Rockwells Steakhouse Lounge is closed on Sundays, but the Maumee Bay Brew Pub is ...
- Nov 18, 2016 - #toledo #food #restaurant
Tt post nov 16, 2016
- Blade :
A three-year contract signed in 2015 with Toledo Firefighters Local 92 increased the departments minimum manning requirement from 103 to 107. It will go up to 110 on Jan. 1, 2017, further increasing the citys costs.
Why would the city ...
1 min read
- Nov 16, 2016 - #toledo #politics #moronism
Handmade Toledo Maker's Mart - Sat, Nov 12, 2016
Maker's Mart is a semi-annual, one-day indie art craft fair presented by Handmade Toledo. The juried fair features handmade goods and artisanal food made by independent crafters, makers, and artisans creating a unique shopping experience in the...
- Nov 11, 2016 - #toledo #art #making #event