Video storage to allow videos to be embedded into blog posts:
Image storage to allow images to be embedded into blog posts:
- Facebook Live
- Twitter's Periscope
Photo and short video storage and/or for networking/journaling:
Blogging/writing/reporting on own custom domain name at:
- or using hand-rolled/downloaded software on a server at a hosting provider
If I had to choose, I would select:
- Writing: hand-rolled/downloaded software on a server at a hosting provider. This could still be Wordpress or Ghost, but it would run on "my own" server, instead of on their servers.
- Image storage: Flickr for storing a large number of images without annoying followers. Even though Flickr can be a social network, I would use it as a storage bin, unless I used the image upload feature within the writing app, which would mean storing the images on my own server, requiring more disk space and backup storage. I would simply embed the Flickr-stored images into blog posts, like I have done for years.
- Social networking: Twitter and especially Instagram for sharing select photos and 15-second videos with journaling notes and hashtags. These images could also be embedded into a blog post.
- Live streaming video: Twitter's Periscope.
- Discussions: Twitter
- Video storage: YouTube. I would use YouTube as a storage bin and not as a social network. The videos would be embedded into blog posts.
Google AMP and Facebook's Instant Articles info - late Jan 2016 - Jan 26, 2016
Hyperlocal Journalism or Local Blogging Networks - Oct 23, 2014
Facebook Instant Articles - May 2015 - May 18, 2015
Creating and curating local news - Jul 15, 2014
January 2013 articles about commenting systems - Jan 15, 2014