The Guardian and Comments - April 2016
- adding here my thread:
"In case you're new to the internet:"articles written by women attract more abuse/trolling than those written by men"" https://twitter.com/astrokatie/status/719852228320694272 - #media #comments - what's funny is that the...
15 min read
- Apr 12, 2016 - #media #comments #moronism #programming #database
Prediction about comment sections for 2016
- Dec 2015
Its time to stop using the c-word. The comment section has moved in peoples minds from being an empty box on a website into a viper-filled pit of hell. We need to start again. We need to do better.
Indeed because your "viper-filled ...
4 min read
- Dec 18, 2015 - #forums #comments #blogging #media #design
Stories to read - Dec 15, 2014
- #media - #comments
- Dec 16, 2014
Recode.net drops comments from its stories
- Nov 20, 2014
Recode.net's reasons for dropping comments are similar to Reuters's reasons for announcing recently that it dropped comments from news stories: the discussion occurs on social media.
... we concluded that, as social media has cont...
1 min read
- Nov 20, 2014 - #comments #media
One site owner's view on comments
- Authored by: Bryan Goldberg.
Bryan is an entrepreneur in New York and San Francisco. He is the Founder and CEO of Bustle.com. He previously founded Bleacher Report, and currently advises several startups.
Major achievements, but it does not mean...
12 min read
- Oct 23, 2014 - #comments #media #moronism
My thoughts on accepting user-contributed content - April 2014
- At Toledo Talk, users can create only one account per email address. Even though users can modify their email addresses through their profile pages, the original email addresses that they used to create the accounts are stored in a separate database ...
3 min read
- Oct 05, 2014 - #forums #comments
Comments about commenting systems - June 2014
- And it continues ... Attempting to correct, improve, and manage reply mechanisms, attached to media-created content.
Additional links and thoughts:
I thought the Facebook commenting system was the Holy Grail for media sites. What about the Disq...
8 min read
- Jun 23, 2014 - #media #comments #programming #opensource #design #blog_jr
Thoughts about web trolls - Spring 2013
- (I made this post at ToledoTalk.com in March 2013, and it appears that I my writing contained some old-fashioned spunkiness.)
Another user wrote:
"At least a troll will usually state their true feelings and not give you some text book politically c...
3 min read
- May 27, 2014 - #comments #forums #blogging #web #blog_jr
Allowing or disallowing comments on blogs
- Mar 19, 2014 - Coding Horror - Please Read The Comments
In 2006 I said that a blog without comments is not a blog and I stand behind that statement.
Since no official standard exists to define a "blog," the above sentiment is obviously personal,...
3 min read
- Apr 13, 2014 - #blogging #forums #comments #design #blog_jr
More about comments and anonymity
- My Jan 2014 comment at ToledoTalk.com.)
Here are a couple other "studies:"
July 2011 - If your website is full of assholes, it's your fault
If you run a website, you need to follow these steps. if you don't, you're making the web, and the wo...
1 min read
- Mar 03, 2014 - #comments #forums #socialmedia #anonymity #blog_jr
January 2013 articles about commenting systems
- (initial content below was copied from my ToledoTalk.com post and then added to in Nov 2013)
whether to allow comments
whether to use Facebook comments or some other system
anonymity or real names
13 min read
- Jan 15, 2014 - #forums #blogging #socialmedia #anonymity #comments #blog_jr
In Progress - Add webmention client code to Junco
Good example of either an Indie Web comment/reply or WebMention:
generic microformats-2 parser. It doesnt have a hard-coded list of all the different microformats, just a set of procedures to ha...
16 min read
- Oct 21, 2013 - #inprogress #webmention #indieweb #browns #junco #juncotodo #comments